- 10 Ways To Get Involved
USGBC U.S. Caribbean Chapter Green Jobs Program:
We are grateful to Fundación Toyota
for your support.
Green jobs can be defined as occupations related to agriculture, construction, facilities management, manufacturing, research, and activities that contribute substantially to preserving or restoring environmental quality. Green jobs are distinguished because they present continuous learning opportunities, lead to real career paths, and offer decent compensation and benefits.
The vision of the GREEN JOBS is that the creation of a green workforce will aid businesses, communities, and nature to regenerate and thrive. Our mission is to provide effective community-based vocational and professional level green collar jobs training opportunities, which will facilitate the transformation of Puerto Rico’s economy into a green economy that will improve the quality of life for all.
The USGBC GREEN JOBS has developed a set of courses adaptable to a variety of different green jobs training curriculums. This structural flexibility facilitates the development and deployment of different training themes to suit particular interests and requirements.
We focus on three different groups:
- Unemployed individuals, high-school dropouts, people with no academic or professional preparation, and individuals with a criminal record. This group can also include laid-off workers, or people interested in a career change or in developing a new green business venture.
- Employed individuals, in occupations related to agriculture, construction, facilities management, manufacturing, research, and engaged in activities that could potentially contribute substantially to preserving or restoring environmental quality.
- Trade organizations related to the construction industry.
Below are relevant topic and skills that we cover:
- Introduction to concepts of environmental protection and sustainability
- Issues of sustainability in Puerto Rico
- What is the USGBC? Why care about green buildings?
- Environmental impacts of construction activities
- General achievements related to the green building industry in Puerto Rico
- Regional priorities for Puerto Rico
- Risks associated with poor environmental quality / health-related /social risks
- Conservation of natural resources or Vegetation / Flora or water use reduction
- Energy efficiency
- Solid Waste Management
- Storage and recyclables collected
- Reuse of waste materials or production of compost
- Prevention of pollution
- Alternative transport (public transport, accessibility, community transport, bicycles)
- Demand for eco-conscious workers
- Employment opportunities for workers with environmental awareness
- Development résumé with emphasis on sustainability
- Green Jobs Search
- Green Business Establishment
- Development of green industries and related sub-economies